Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Last Post

Dan passed away peacefully this afternoon.  Andrea was with him.

Dan se n'e' andato pacificamente oggi pomeriggio. Andrea era con lui.

Andrea has requested that in lieu of flowers, you make a donation to your local SPCA in his name.  

27 comments:

  1. He will be so missed , I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heaven just received a real gem.
    It aint the same without you, Dan Read.

    Much love to Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. My deepest condolences to Andrea and the family. We shall miss Dan dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My deepest sympathies to Andera and Dan's family. He was a wonderful soul who I will miss very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. da lella
    mi dispiace così tanto non essere più vicina fisicamente. con il cuore però sono lì e condivido tutto il dolore e la mancanza di Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He will be deeply missed. My sincere condolences to Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dan's quote "Look for the red in the landscape."
    The red of the plants, trees and your hair. Treasures that you have left for all of us. Andrea, my thoughts, prayers and love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a sad call where I was told Dan had died... My heart goes out to him and Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know Dan is at peace. I know Andrea will get through whatever lies ahead. I know we all expected this time to come. But my heart is broken, and I am crying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Muoiono le mandrie,
    muoiono i parenti,
    morirai tu stesso allo stesso modo.
    Ma la fama
    non muore mai
    per chi se ne è fatta una buona."

    - - - Odino ("Canzone dell'Alto")

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good bye Dan.The good memmories will remain.
    We will miss you

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so very sorry. My condolences to Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like Asa, I'm crying too. I cannot imagine my world without Danny in it.
    My deepest sympathy, Andrea. Thank you for loving him so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katie and Tom FicoMay 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM

    Dan was so special. He always made us laugh. So talented in every way! He will be greatly missed. My heart goes out to Andrea and family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I nostri pensieri sonno con te, molto amore da Ari e io.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We're sending our love to you Andrea.
    And we're missing Dan a lot.

    Thanks for those wonderful moments we shared!!!

    Much love,

    Steph & Cling

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never knew Dan, but came into this blog via Dan Cooper's FB wall page! Where he deeply regretted of Dan's passing away...

    I read all his previous posts...I felt so connected, like a small child who is attached to his first toy...
    I'm earnestly touched by his writings...and have tears while I type this...

    I hope and pray that God All Mighty favor him and help him in his journey after life...

    There is no goodness in good if one is not good...And I can say that about Dan, just by reading his words...I wish I had known him...

    To his family and friends...keep the memories alive...

    love from a far away land...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ho avuto la grande fortuna di conoscere Dan due estati fa, durate una visita ai Disney Studios a Los Angeles.
    Dan si è dimostrato subito una persona di una simpatia, intelligenza e gentilezza ...senza eguali!
    Nel giro di pochi secondi mi ha fatto sentire parte del suo mondo e della sua arte.
    Un grande...ci mancherai Dan...tantissimo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am SO sorry to hear this. Dan was a true gentleman...even in the most difficult of situations. I always enjoyed our meetings - especially the way our conversation inevitably veered away from business and on to other things. He was an amazing artist who made every picture he worked on that much better. Paint the sky, Dan!
    Alex Andrews

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so sorry to hear about this.
    Dan was such a great artist and I loved bumping into him at Disney.
    He always took the time to chat and make you laugh.
    I'll miss you Dan.
    Coraggio Andrea.
    Cinzia, William, Giovanna, Sofia e Jacques

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dan, I will miss you and your wicked humor and your smile and your friendship! You were always such a joy to hang out with, I always loved sitting next to you at the dinner table, you always made me laugh! Good bye, I will miss you! Caroline Hu

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dan--Thanks for everything. What a talent, and what a warm, eccentric and memorable personality. Rest in Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dan made me laugh so many times, even during stressful times at work, with his humorous emails and great wit. The world needs a lot more people like Dan. He will be greatly missed and fondly remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I will miss you a lot Dan.You were so much a character.Tu va nous manquer Dan ,T 'etais vraiment un personnage .
    Rest in peace.Reposes en paix

    Yoshi

    ReplyDelete
  25. I met Dan in Paris and we became good friends in Burbank. We always had a laugh. What a wonderful man. I miss him and his beautiful self.
    My sympathy and love to Andrea.
    Annamarie Costa

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dan, I'm sorry we never got to have that last lunch. I will miss your dry wit

    ReplyDelete
  27. I usually called Daniel Arthur Read “Danny” beginning at Sierra Junior High, and he was my best friend for many years. It was almost crushing in a way to think, as we got older, that I wasn’t his best friend the whole time, because he meant so much to me. We kind of drifted apart around 1982, but he was always near in thought. Oh, the great stories I could tell you about Danny in early adulthood, and maybe I will have to get them out there in cyberspace for those that didn’t know him at that time. He was the most talented person I ever knew: artist, linguist, deaf sign language interpreter, intellectual, and a great bass singer. He was thoughtful and compassionate, selfless, and the attributes and tributes go on.

    I had Danny on an automatic search engine to pick up any tidbits about him. The other day, Google sent me an email about his death – “Daniel ‘Dan’ Read, a background and visual development artist on several Disney Animation films, died May 25….” Unfazed at first, I thought, “Danny is dead – happens, you know - to all of us.” I found a couple of poor internet photos and see he went from auburn to all white hair, and looked a lot like his dad. The short beard looked good.

    Next I retrieved an old email address from the file I have on him, and wrote a letter to my dead friend because I had a need to do something, and then I started to cry. This sort of thing doesn’t happen everyday to someone you chummed with in school, traveled and preformed in Hawaii and Mexico City with the Madrigals, and a zillion other places. We walked to Ramona High often as he lived only a few blocks away on Sunnyside Drive; and while we smoked Benson and Hedges cigarettes, or some of his mother’s menthols, he reported the tantalizing passages he had read in “The Carpetbaggers” the night before…

    ...Google will not allow the whole text for a comment, but you can go to where I have it posted –
    http://jmachapel.org/dar/daniel_arthur_read.htm

    ReplyDelete